History of ELTC
As with most older lawn tennis clubs, tennis at Epsom LTC was derived from the game of croquet, which began in the 1850s being played on the lawns of Woodcote House adjacent to the present premises.
By the 1870s croquet was in decline with the advent of the bouncing rubber ball and, as with the All England Club at Wimbledon, tennis began to be played on the croquet lawns. Epsom was one of the leading croquet clubs and were national champions in 1907. The All England Club had begun to concentrate on the new game of tennis and held its first championships in 1877, which was the principal tournament in the country. Following the championships most of the players entered the Epsom Open and this continued until the early 1920s, by which time many other tournaments, principally the Davis Cup, were affecting entries due to clash of dates and the event was terminated in 1928.
By 1913 Epsom LTC had five lawn tennis courts and three croquet courts and in 1914 two hard courts were laid for winter play on what is now the car park. In 1923, the last remaining croquet court was converted to a grass court. Whilst Epsom LTC did not evolve into the leading club as it so easily could have done, it has gone from strength to strength over the years. It now has five good quality grass courts, three floodlit artificial clay courts, two floodlit artificial grass courts and two floodlit all-weather hard courts.
With these facilities Epsom LTC has earned itself the present reputation of a large friendly club with a good standard of club play, provisions for better players to enter match play, a thriving junior section, a resident coaching facility and an improving social scene within the ever improving pavilion facilities.